Are you ready to embrace online networking? Virtual networking is a simple way to make new contacts and market your business.
During the Coronavirus lockdown, we moved to Zoom for our Pink Link online networking meetings and it’s been great. It’s convenient and easy to use, wherever you are!
You can hold meetings and presentations for business, meet up with family and friends socially. Some of our members have held quizzes, karaoke and even weddings! It’s a great tool to bring people together wherever they are in the world.
Our How To Guide To Use Zoom
The Zoom website will give prompts and tips and there are many useful features if you choose to hold your own meetings. This is our simple guide to help you get the most out of your online meetings. Please note the buttons may appear in different places on other devices. Take some time to locate where they are.
- Go to zoom.us and create an account
- You can choose from various payment packages but we’d suggest to sign up for the Free account to begin with. If you are holding your own meetings you may want to look at the paid for accounts.
- After creating an account, click the small Profile picture in the top right corner to manage your details. When you save your details, you won’t have to change them each time you have a meeting. If you add your photo here, this will be the photo that shows if you later stop your video.
- You will be able to Schedule, Join or Host a meeting.
- Download Zoom to your laptop, tablet or mobile in advance of the meeting. It will make it quicker and easier to can open meetings from the app.
- We will send you an email with a link to the meeting and the Meeting ID and Password.
- You won’t be able to join a meeting without this. We recommend joining approx. 10 mins before the meeting starts. If you are co-hosting or will be sharing a presentation, we recommend joining 20 mins before. This way you will be able to sort out any technical issues before you start.
- When you click on the link or your Zoom App you will see a new window. It will give you prompts to Join A Meeting
- Enter the Meeting ID and Password – You can enter your name as it will appear on the screen. Add your company after your name so that other attendees know who you are and where you’re from.
Tick the box Remember My Name For Future Meetings. You also have the option to have your audio and screen on as you enter the meeting. Tick these boxes with your preferences. Then click Join.
A new window will open for the Password. Enter the password and click OK
- If the Organiser has set up a Waiting Room, a new window will open telling you that the Organiser knows you are waiting. You may need to wait a few minutes until you are let in. Please be patient.
- Here’s a few tips so you don’t look like Darth Vader:
- Sit facing a window or put a light behind your screen to light up your face. Make sure it doesn’t directly shine into your eyes.
- If you’re wearing glasses, check the reflection isn’t appearing in your glasses. You don’t want to look like Mr Magoo.
- Prop the camera, laptop or mobile so it is on a level with your face or looks slightly down.
- Your background! It’s amazing how many people start looking at the background behind you. Maybe tidy up a bookcase or move a pile of laundry that you don’t want to be seen. You can use clever little touches to get your branding in the background or using a pop up banner behind you.
There are icons along the bottom of your screen where you can turn your video on or off, mute your speaker, chat and make reactions.
- The Speaker button is the microphone. Hover over this to turn it on and off. When you are in the meeting you can also hover over your photo to mute/unmute yourself.
- The Video button is the video (obviously). Again, hover over this to start and stop your video or to make changes to your appearance or background.
To make more changes, hover over the video button and you will see a small arrow. Click on this and a drop down menu will appear. Click Video Settings.
- If you want to customise your background click Settings then choose Virtual Background. You can choose from a saved background image or upload your own by clicking the + symbol circled.
Be aware though they can look a little odd and if you move your head too quickly it can appear distorted.
- If you need a little help with your appearance, take a look at the Touch Up My Appearance Be warned, it doesn’t work miracles – I’ve tried!
The Mirror My Video button is handy when any wording behind you appears the wrong way round. It will also mirror your face which can be a surprise!
- You can react with a Thumbs Up or Wave emoji by clicking the Reactions button at the bottom of your screen. You can customise the colour in the Settings. The emoji will automatically disappear after a few second.
- You can change your view to Gallery, Full Screen or Speaker by clicking the icons below. As you toggle them they will give you different options to view.
On mobiles you might have to swipe along the bottom or top of the screen to get different views. On some devices you can see between 3 or 20 participants. If you want to see large groups use your laptop or computer.
- Use the Chat button to add to the conversation. This is handy for adding your details and having conversations when you are muted. At the end of the meeting we will prompt you to go to the Chat box and download the full conversation so you can follow leads and suggestions.
- Screen Sharing is useful for Peer Members when you have a presentation to share with the group. We will make you a Co-Host and share the screen so you will have control as you show your presentation. Some members have used slide shows, videos and even direct from their premises. It can be a great way to showcase your products and services and let attendees see exactly what you do. We will give you more instructions if you are sharing the screen.
- Remember, everyone can see and hear you! If you’re on the phone, checking your emails, writing notes, eating your breakfast… it could look like you’re not interested. If you must take a call or shout at the kids, dog, partner…. mute your speaker or stop your video.
We will automatically mute your speaker when it’s pitch time but don’t forget when you are on speaker everyone can hear you… kids shouting, dogs barking, yawning or worse! You can mute and unmute yourself at any time by pressing and holding the spacebar or by the Mute
There are other options for virtual and online conferencing including Skype, Microsoft Teams, Google Hangout. We have found Zoom to be easy and secure to use but let us know if you have come across other platforms.
Now that networking isn’t limited by where you are. Book one of our Pink Link networking meetings for women in business and find out how we can help you grow your business. Click this link for meetings and dates.